- 2 TBS butter (or olive oil)
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- ½ cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup white raisins
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 4 cups canned tomatoes, with their juice (use Italian with basil)
- 2 TBS tomato paste (optional)
- 3 TBS chopped parsley
Yield: 4 cups.
- In a skillet, heat butter (olive oil). Add onions, green pepper, and bay
leaf and sauté until the onion is translucent and limp, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except tomato paste and parsley, breaking
the tomatoes into small pieces as you add them. Simmer for 30 minutes, or until
sauce begins to thicken.
- Add the tomatoes paste and stir well. Cook 15 minutes. Add the parsley,
stir well. Serve over the Meat Loaf.